Friday, December 16, 2005

Christmas a knee and a small loss

I cant believe how busy I have been lately, I have hardly found time for anything I need or want to do, just for the things I have to do. Today is dedicated to going slow and doing some things that I have neglected.

Christmas shopping done! Just need to get it all wrapped now which wont take too long. Everything for the nieces and nephews is finalised and ready to go into the car. We are driving to Sydney tonight to spend the weekend with my family as it is my dads 60th birthday tomorrow.

Now for the knee - first operation successful. I am so happy. I went in early yesterday morning and was home again by lunch time. The surgeon removed a large chunk of cartilage that had been moving around in my knee and getting caught as I was trying to walk. I cant believe how much better it feels already. The pain factor has been negligible, only two pain killers since waking up from the operation yesterday. Best of all I can walk, and I mean properly walk, not even a limp. I have not been this mobile for eight weeks now.

I am still all bandaged up so we dont know how much flexion I will have without pain, that will come over the next few weeks. Unfortunately the damage was too great to do the harvest for the cell implant, so that option is now unavailable to me, and we will have to examine further areas of treatment. I am almost certainly going to end up with osteoarthritic pain at some stage as I still have an area of bone that will be in contact with other bone in the knee, but for now I am feeling so much better than I was even two days ago, and the constant pressure, pain and aching has all but disapeared. So for now I am celebrating that, I will worry about the other possible problems next week when I go back to see the surgeon.

As for the weight loss, I have am now at 79.5, which is a 400g loss from my last weigh in. But considering my last weigh in was November 21st, things have been on the back burner to say the least. I am more committed to losing this weight now than I have been for a long time. The failure of this cartliage implant option for my knee has really made me think. I only have one body and it has to last me a lot longer yet, so I really need to take more care of it. There are some things that are beyond my control aka knee injury, but there are some things that are totally up to me to control and the biggest of these is my weight.

It's time to take some action

1 comment:

Brandi said...

Seems so far as if the knee injury could be a blessing in diguise ... I hope to read on and find out that it helps to keep you motivated in the "future"!