Monday, December 19, 2005

the bees knees

Well mine actually, according to my surgeon the knee is unsuitable for the cartilage grafting, and other than major surgery (as if the graft wasn't bad enough) there is little he can do.

My body has already started generating fibrous cartilage to cover the open area, but it will never be strong enough for high impact stuff. His belief is if I look after myself really well for the next six weeks or so and don't bend my knee past 20 degrees I have a good chance of getting good coverage. This will then hopefully see me through the next five to possibly ten years before I need any other intervention.

All of this is of course speculation, and I could find in 12 months the pain is so bad I am ready to cut the damn thing off, but so far my pain as all but disappeared so I am taking the optimistic outlook for now. So I walk up and down stairs like a two year old, one step at a time, and I will be walking a bit stiff legged for a few more months, but I have hope that I will be able to use my knee better for a few more years at least.

So enough about the knee for now.

The other comment he made was that it is important for me to keep my weight "under control". Given that my husband was present when he said that he may as well have said "loose some lard tubby" because that is what my DH heard. So he has volunteered to go on a diet with me so that he can lose a few pounds while I lose a lot of pounds. I guess I should be happy that he is being supportive, but his support usually involves hard labour so it is a double edged sword.

I know I need to lose the weight, and I want to lose it, but it is no fun when you get told to do it. I have this stubborn streak in me, and I hate people telling me what to do. Luckily in my own head I knew I had to lose the weight before anyone else told me to, or else I could be really fighting with myself on this one LOL.

So onwards and downwards (on the scale at least) I have pulled my finger out!

No comments: