Friday, November 4, 2005

Injury progress

Tomorrow is two weeks since the knee incident and I am still out of action. I can walk now, albeit very slowly, and I am using and old mans walking stick to get around, but it is heaps better than the crutches. So glad I am not having to use them anymore. Today was my first full pain killer free day YAY. I will probably still need to take something before bed as sleeping is still a little sore.

A visit to the orthapaedic surgeon on Wednesday (my birthday) revealed that it is more likely the anterior cruciate ligament than the medial, which needs surgery to be fixed. The surgeon has me going to the physiotherapist next week... not looking forward to the pain that will involve, then I am off for an MRI the following week, then back to see the surgeon for the verdict. His current view is that I will probably need an arthroscopy (sp?) to check out the damage and repair, yuck! The good thing is it is only day surgery, or one night in hospital, and I should be able to walk out afterwards. Lets hope that is the case anyway, I am not wanting to be on crutches again.

The worst thing about the ortho visit was that he stuck a huge needle in my leg to draw out the accumulated blood, he took out 65ml before I hit him LOL, I did not mean to hit him, it just all of a sudden really hurt and it was a reflex action. The first time he changed the vials over the blood just kept p0uring out and down my leg, he said it was under a lot of pressure. Luckily he was faily good humoured and didnt get upset about my reaction. Not the most wonderful birthday present I ever got...

I am frustrated at the time it is taking to get mobile again, I am sick of asking people to drive me places or pick up my kids or whatever, I just want to be able to do it all myself again. I am also furstrated at the delay in my karate training too. There is no way now that I will get to grading in December like I had hoped. It is probable that James and Jane will both grade then, but I will have to sit and watch. My husband is also making ominous noises about me returning to training full stop. He seems to think that I should not be going back, and that I should forget about karate all together. I am not happy about that at all. I am going to talk to the ortho and the physio and see what they recommend, if they say it is no go, well then that is the end of the story, if they say I am fine to go back to training, then I dont see why I shouldnt. I think there will be a bit of a fight about it at home though.

As for the whole weight loss thing, well it is just not happening right now. I really need to get my head around it or I will end up gaining due to the enforced rest that I am having right now. I have eaten my last family block of comfort chocolate to get me through this thing, I know that was a bad idea, but it is done and gone, and now I need to start eating more healthy food, and taking smaller portions until I can start exercising again. I never thought I would say this but I cant wait until I can run again.

1 comment:

Mia Goddess said...

Once, I busted my ankle. The growth plate popped out and the doctor had to set me on a gurney in the e/r, yank down HARD on my ankle, and pop it back into place. When he yanked on my ankle (i didn't mean to but...) I grabbed his curly hair (think Mr. Kotter) on both sides of his head with both hands and pulled as hard as I could. I was 12. He was pissed.

SUPER SORRY about all this. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be.